Friday, September 3, 2010

The Return of the Boyfriend

"It'll get easier with time." We've all heard it. After some great incident or loss, somebody will inevitably say this to you. At the time you can't imagine that being true; you put on an act and mutter an agreement, but your heart doesn't believe it. In these situations you usually do feel better with time. I don't think the situation I am in holds true to this. And I don't want it to.

I love Michelle very much and I don't want being away from her to ever be easy for me. If you fall into a situation like ours you may indeed feel better with time. I take a perverse pleasure in knowing that the pain I feel is as fresh as today as when she disappeared through the gate to her airplane.

I've been doing everything I can to help Michelle transition to her new lifestyle, but from the other side of the planet what help I can give is very limited. I was very nervous about Michelle adapting to this culture, even though she was already much better acquainted with it than I.

As it turns out Michelle has done a wonderful job and is settling in nicely. I'm so proud of her for what she's accomplished and what she's continuing to accomplish. To some of you it may sound I'm making a big deal of something relatively simple, but I can assure that is not the case. Delving into an Asian culture as Michelle is doing is a thousand times more challenging than it appears. Just being apart so long is incredibly difficult for me, but she has to deal with that same pain and a million other stresses at the same time. I'm very proud of her.

In a long-distance relationship talking frequently is a must! If you find yourself in a similar position as us, do everything you can to ensure you can take several times a week. Skype is great if you have a camera and microphone. Unfortunately while I possess both, Michelle currently has neither.

Taiwan is filled with ups and downs for Michelle, but on the whole I am pleased with the way things have worked out for her and with how she is handling everything.

I know this may sound corny and dumb, but you guys are really important to her. I know a lot of you read but don't comment. Please let us know what you're thinking! It means so much to Michelle if you take the time to write. Share a story, ask a question, write your emotions, etc. If you are nervous, just post anonymously.

Thanks for your continued support!

P.S. Some of you may have noticed occasional comments I have made about the boys Michelle has been meeting. I'll admit that I do get jealous, but I'm not truly worried since I trust Michelle completely.

P.S.S. I leave for my gap year travel in 9 days. if you want to follow some nerds on their Eurotrip check out our blog at eurotripattackofthenerds.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

  1. i agree. michelle is doing very well seeing that she has a lot to worry about at one time. your very good to be so understanding and trusting of her ;D you deserve a number 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, since your boyfriend wants me to tell you, I've read your entire blog. It's in my bookmarks. Keep writing; it's really interesting to read.

    -Jessica C
    (your "old same")

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jessica

    It's surprising that you read this! Why comment when he tells you to, and not when your old same tells you to?!

    XD

    I'm happy you like it. Anything you want to know?

    ~Michelle
    (old same XD)

    ReplyDelete