Thursday, February 10, 2011

kaiping My Taiwanese host school

Class participation:





This is what we start out with when we go to Chinese cooking class.
Most groups have three people, might has four, as I'm the extra. But look at this stuff! It's so cool.

I've learned to gut fish, shell shrimp, scale fish, and cook crab. It's really useful.

Nothing much to say.

Marielle (the french exchange student with me in Kaiping) cutting.

That is Tofu, by the way.

We cut everything.

Look at this egg.

We boiled it and cut it in half.







The recipes use way too much oil all the time. Marielle and I try to sneak some of it out all the time though. XD

Bad quality pictures, but our school is always really dark.

Cooking class is fun. But we need to change uniforms and since they have no changing rooms, students, boys and girls, all get changed in the classroom together. Yes. They strip in the classroom. Which, might not be a big deal if Marielle and I weren't foreign and if we weren't females. Everyone in the room watches us very intently and makes comments. It's very annoying.

I've really enjoy this time cooking with my classmates and eating the food afterwards all together. The chefs are all really kind to me as well.


4 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm impressed with the fact that you know how to descale and gut fish and shell shrimp! That's a great and useful skill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it will be a be money saver. It's not too hard. I could teach you, but it's a little scary to gut a fish. Maybe you don't want to know. XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Michelle! I know this particular blog was posted 2 years ago, but I have just stumbled to it from my search about Kaiping. My dream is to go to Taiwan and learn how to cook!! Unfortunately for me I live in the United States, but I'm trying to gather as much information as I can. I would love some help. I hope this message gets to you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kai-Ping is a wonderful world class culinary school located in the heart of Taipei. Taiwan is a really enjoyable place to be. I hope you followed through with your dream!

      Delete