Saturday, January 15, 2011

Chinese Calligraphy!

Taiwan is really one of the best places to learn calligraphy. Why? Because in Taiwan they use the traditional characters, maybe it's not so practical to use these characters, but one thing is for sure; they are meaningful. When the Chinese government simplified the characters, yes they indeed became more simple, but they lost a lot of culture and meaning in the process. The characters are much more beautiful and complex here in Taiwan.

So if you come to Taiwan, I really recommend you accept anyone's offer to teach you this art. As for me, I have to pay for it, so that really sucks. But I wouldn't miss this chance.

Let's get to it:

This was the room I had my first and last real calligraphy lesson. 

As you can see, it looks cool, but it's not exactly a ritzy place. In any case, I have decided not to continue my lessons here because it's too much money for me. 

Another reason is, despite the teacher's kindness, he can't speak english.

I have to say, it was a lot of fun and really helped make my mind up that this is something I really want to do. In this picture, the teacher wrote my name. It's so nice isn't it?

Mou, Mi Xue

Teacher gives an assignment in orange, and corrects in orange.

It's harder than it looks. Circles mean it's correct.


My homework.


My host mother not only drove me there on her super cool motorcycle, but she stayed with me the whole two and a half hours, never leaving my side. She translated everything for me and helped me in every way possible. She really is great. She offered to have her dad or my host father teach me. And when we got home, she gave me these calligraphy papers. 


Actually this week I'm really sick, and she's a little sick. And my host father is away on business. But it's been really nice. I haven't wanted to leave the house so we just stay home and eat together and watch movies together. It's really nice. She's the nicest lady. I adore her. 

Oh and, Peggy is the one who found me these classes, so I big thanks to her. She spent a lot of time trying to find classes at night. But I wasn't expecting it to be over 7,000 NT, and the teacher not speaking a word of english, and having to pay for it all myself. 

I really need to buy winter clothing. It's the reason I'm so sick right now. And I have to buy shampoo and conditioner, and I just bought a chinese textbook (mandatory), and I need to get a haircut, and I have a lot of big purchases I've been putting off but I can't wait any longer for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment